Tuesday 28th March 2017
Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy -
Quarter Final 
Kick off: 19:45pm
Venue: Mayesbrook Park
Attendance: 60
Current Form: W W W L W W

James Peagram 24'

James Jaconelli 76'

Liam Burgess 83'

Jason Willis

Timi Abiola

Ashley Wackers-Kyriacou

James Jaconelli

Glen Golby

Jay Taylor 46'

Matheus Santos

Liam Burgess

James Peagram

Aaron Chenneour 65'

Joe Pearman (C)

Ben O'Brien

Beau Shulman 46'

Michael Sherwood

Joe Staunton 65'

Steve Willis

Barking 3
Redbridge 2


Barking made it three wins out of three against Redbridge this season and advanced to the semi-final of the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy after a dramatic 3-2 victory. James Peagram opened the scoring early before being pegged back by Aron Gordon before half time. The last 15 minutes saw a quick triple of quality of goals, James Jaconelli scored an impressive half volley before a near immediate equaliser by Adam Hunt but Liam Burgess scored the winner shortly afterwards.

It took 22 minutes for the first chance of note and it fell to Redbridge as Barking ‘keeper Jason Willis was on hand to palm away a long-range shot. Two minutes later however and Barking did have the lead – Aaron Chenneour was fouled on the left corner of the box. James Peagram stepped up and his low free-kick went across goal – evading everyone and curling into the bottom of the net- much like his goal vs Tower Hamlets and Joe Pearman’s attempt against London Bari. Redbridge were not fazed by going behind and nearly had an equaliser after 33 minutes as a header back to Willis by Jay Taylor was intercepted by a striker who rounded Willis but could only volley wide. A minute later and Redbridge did have their equaliser  Aron Gordon cut in from the right wing and lashed a powerful shot into the roof of the net from just over 20 yards leaving the sides level at half time.

Jay Taylor was forced off injured at half time with Beau Shulman taking his place and Shulman came close to a contributing to a goal after 53 minutes as his long ball was headed on by Chenneour to put Pearman through on goal but his lifted attempt went over the goal. Five minutes later and it was Redbridge who caused danger as the returning Timi Abiola conceded a foul near the edge of the box but the dangerous free kick was blocked away. Redbridge continued to pressure and forced a save from Willis after 63 minutes and five minutes later a Redbridge striker found himself through on goal but he lifted his effort over the goal. Barking managed to grab a foothold back in the game and Redbridge had their goalkeeper Jake Mernagh to thank after 75 minutes as Peagram capitalised on a defensive mistake to round Mernagh – unfortunately he went too wide and Mernagh had time to recover and save the resultant shot with his feet. A minute later and Mernagh was helpless – A long free kick was headed away but met by James Jaconelli just outside the box – he miffed his first attempt but as the ball bounced he connected with a half-volley that flew into the top left corner of the net to make the score 2-1. The lead only lasted five minutes as Redbridge bounced back - a through ball put Adam Hunt one-on-one with Willis – Willis narrowed the angle but Hunt stayed cool to chip the ball over Willis and restore parity. There were yet more twists – a Barking attack down the right wing resulted in a long throw into the box – this was headed out of the box but met by Liam Burgess who watched the ball drop and then unleashed a volley that flew through everyone and nestled into the bottom right corner of the net again leaving Mernagh stood helpless.

There was time for Joe Pearman to force Mernagh into another save from a narrow angle and there was also time for one more Redbridge chance in injury time – a corner found its way to an attacker near the penalty spot but he volleyed over and it was Barking who progressed to the semi-final of the GBT.

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


James Peagram scores our first goal

James Jaconelli scores our second goal

Videos courtesy of Ashley Hanson

More goals and highlights on our YouTube channel

More goals and highlights at our YouTube channel

About Us

Barking Football Club established 1880. Who play at Mayesbrook Park and formerly at the Vicarage Field.

Terms of Use


Where are we

Get in Touch

  • Phone:
    0203 244 0069
  • Address:
    Mayesbrook Park, Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, Essex, RM8 2JR