Date: Saturday 7th September 2019
FA Cup First Qualifying Round

Ashman 62'

Attendance: 281
Venue: Sadiku Stadium
Current form:

Starters: Mitchell Ware, Ricky Tarbard, Jack Roult, Ryan Mallett, Daniel Flemming, Jack Hayes, Johnny Ashman, Abs Seymour (C), Sam Owusu, Kiernan Hughes-Mason, Junior Dadson
Substitutes: Donnell Anderson, Theo Fairweather-Johnson, Joe Bruce, Emmanuel Ighorae, Fahad Nyanja, Callum Thompson, Montel Joseph
46' Nyanja Owusu 
64' Ighorae Dadson 
76' Fairweather-Johnson Flemming 
Yellow cards: Flemming, Owusu, Seymour, Hayes
Red cards: None


Barking bowed out of the FA Cup to opponents from a level above them and despite having more of enough of the first half and despite trailing at the interval a goal four minutes from time killed off any revival hopes and left the Blues with the consolation of a financial gain from the two rounds we have competed in this season.

As to be expected playing a team a division higher than us the home side started the game at a high tempo and tried to impose themselves on the game. This was reflected in the early chances with the notable ones being a shot over the bar and a free kick resulting from a Jack Hayes going the same way. Barking’s first real effort came from Johnny Ashman when his deflected cross found the foot of the post and the danger was cleared and this was followed up on 12 minutes when good play from Abs Seymour and Ryan Mallet freed Junior Dadson but his angled shot across goal was the wrong side of the post. Langley should of gone ahead shortly afterwards when loose play in the midfield meant Max Hercules was played through on goal and a combination of Mitchell Ware and RickyTarbard stopped the first effort and the two follow ups were blocked before Ware gratefully collected the ball. On 21 only the brilliance of Ware stopped Langley McKeown from scoring by turning away his close range header for a corner. 

Barking came close to scoring when Seymour’s corner looked to be going in but was cleared at the near post and they went close again when a long ball forward found Dadson who managed to beat Langley keeper Melvin Minter but harried by home defender Roddy Collins never got good contact with the ball and Collins was able to clear from near the goal line. After being in the contest for more than half an hour, another loose ball in midfield meant Langley were bearing down on goal and Daniel Flemming was adjudged to have committed a foul and Charlie Ruff beat Ware from the spot to put the home side a goal up. A loose clearance from Minter presented Jack Roult an opportunity many yards from goal but with the net unguarded he could not get his shot on target. With half time nearing a foul on Mallett gave Johnny Ashman an opportunity but although his well struck effort was on target it was palmed away for a corner and from the follow up flag kick Mallett’s header struck the bar with Minter nowhere and yet again the rebound did not fall kindly for a yellow shirt and this meant we went in at half time a goal down.

The second half from a Barking perspective was not as good as the first and the lower number of quality chances created seemed to reflect this. Langley nearly went further in front on 52 when a corner found Callum Adebiyi but thankfully his header hit the bar. A Seymour free kick on 55 found Junior Dadson whose header hit the bar and the rebound was put in the net by sub Fahad Nyanja but it was irrelevant as the offside flag was up, two minutes later and Langley were two ahead: a scuffed Ware clearance lead to a throw and from which Ruff crossed in to find Eoin McKeown who got in front of Flemming to finish. Just five minutes later the arrears were reduced when Kieran Hughes-Mason’s ball was nearly stopped by Kyle Connelly only for Johnny Ashman to rob him and as it rolled on he then thwarted Minter’s vain attempt and fired the ball home despite another last ditch effort to stop it.


Ashman is now our top scorer with three goals all coming in cup matches. Try and as we might the failure to convert those first chances came back to haunt us and although there were a number a dangerous crosses and corners the cutting edge needed was always out of reach. With four minutes remaining the game was up when Max Hercules was played though and he didn’t miss and made the score 3-1.

As we could not force a replay there is no midweek game and next Saturday return to league action with a trip to bottom of the table Ashford Town hoping for some welcome league points.

Report source: Terry Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.

Kings Langley FC v Barking FC - Saturday September 7th 2019

Click to open in a new window

Match highlights

Videos courtesy of Ashley Hanson

More goals and highlights on our YouTube channel

About Us

Barking Football Club established 1880. Who play at Mayesbrook Park and formerly at the Vicarage Field.

Terms of Use


Where are we

Get in Touch

  • Phone:
    0203 244 0069
  • Address:
    Mayesbrook Park, Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, Essex, RM8 2JR