Saturday 3rd September 2016
Essex Senior League
Kick off: 3pm
Venue: Mile End Stadium
Attendance: 72
Current Form: L W D L W W

John Bricknell 21' 74' pen

Ben O'Brien 72'

Joe Pearman 80'

Jason Willis

Ricky Tarbard

Timi Abiola

Paul Oshin 70'

Billy Sendall

Steve Willis

Liam Burgess

Ben O'Brien (C)

James Peagram 85'

John Bricknell 75'

Petrit Elbi


Joe Staunton 70'

Ashley Wackers-Kyriacou

Andy Edmunds

Joe Pearman 75'

Michael Green

Tower Hamlets 1
Barking 4


Barking were victorious against Tower Hamlets after a 4-1 victory but the score line was not all it seems. Barking took the lead in the first half thanks to John Bricknell and a red card for Hamlets did not deter who banged on the door before finally equalising but Barking fired back to score three goals. Barking now have the weekend off before travelling to Broxbourne to face Eton Manor.

The home side started stronger as a left wing cross was swung in but the header was wide of the target. The pressure from Hamlets continued as after 20 minutes they were able to dispossess Barking in midfield and some quick football provided a good chance for them but the shot was over. A minute later and Tower Hamlets were made to pay as James Peagram chipped the ball into the box at the far post where it found John Bricknell who turned the defender with some control before shooting low and hard across the goalkeeper into the bottom right corner of the net. The home side were not deterred however and came very close to an equaliser on the half hour mark – a short corner routine on the edge of the box led to a long shot which bounced awkwardly in front of Jason Willis who could only palm the ball into onrushing attackers – Willis was able to stop the first rebound but the second fell to an attacker who attempted to smash the ball into the net but was denied by Billy Sendall on the line who made an athletic jumping block to keep the ball out of goal. The task was made even harder for Tower Hamlets as striker Sergiomar da Silva received his second yellow card for two identical late fouls on Sendall. The only other chance fell to Barking late in the first half as Sendall was involved again as his long throw was met by Steve Willis in the box but with his back to goal he could only head straight at the goalkeeper.

Tower Hamlets were again on the front foot at the start of the second half and after breaking the offside trap with five minutes gone they saw a shot creep wide of the post despite there not being a defender in sight. Peagram nearly doubled the lead a minute from a Petrit Elbi cross but his header was wide of the post. There was another chance quickly after again from a header but Willis headed over a freekick by Liam Burgess. Tower Hamlets had their own dangerous free kick after 55 minutes and they thought they had their equaliser but the ball smacked against the crossbar. Barking were again riding their luck two minutes as Hamlets walked through with some nice football but they were again denied by the woodwork as a side foot from a narrow angle hit the base of the post.  The heavens opened and the tide seems to turn as Barking had the ball in the net from a corner as Sendall’s volley was deflected into goal by Peagram but he was ruled to be in an offside position. Barking went from thinking they were 2-0 up to being pegged back in the space of 3 minutes as another failed offside trap left O’Neal Rowe through on goal – as Willis advanced to narrow the angle Rowe calmly squared the ball to Landih Joao for an easy tap-in. Equilibrium only lasted a matter of minutes – a foul led to a Barking free high in the Tower Hamlets half on the left wing – John Bricknell stepped up to float the ball to the D of the box – there it was met by the day’s goal scorer turned provider James Peagram who headed the ball on where it was met by Ben O’Brien who kept the ball in the air with his control before firing a volley high into the left side of the net with the keeper stranded. There was nearly an instant equaliser as Hamlets counterattacked after regaining possession in the midfield but Willis was quick off his line to make a fantastic save. The pivotal nature of this save was highlighted a minute later – Peagram was fouled in the box after latching onto a long ball over the top leading to a penalty for which John Bricknell stepped to dispatch into the bottom right corner with the goalkeeper going the wrong way for his second goal of the game and Barking’s third. Barking got a fourth to add more gloss to the score line after 80 minutes as the Blues (playing in yellow) won the ball in midfield - Joe Staunton played the ball over the defenders towards Peagram who was miles offside but walked away from the ball to be deemed inactive and with the home defenders standing still Joe Pearman run through and smashed the ball powerfully past the goalkeeper.

The last ten minutes passed without further chances for either side as Barking were happy to take away all three points as Tower Hamlets struggled to believe that they had not come away from the game with at least a point.

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Any opinions expressed in this report are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Barking Football Club.

About Us

Barking Football Club established 1880. Who play at Mayesbrook Park and formerly at the Vicarage Field.

Terms of Use


Where are we

Get in Touch

  • Phone:
    0203 244 0069
  • Address:
    Mayesbrook Park, Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, Essex, RM8 2JR