Saturday 11th February 2017
Essex Senior League
Kick off: 3pm
Venue: Mayesbrook Park
Attendance: 61
Current Form: W W L W D W

Petrit Elbi 2'

Joe Staunton 39'

James Peagram 57' 84'

Max Watters '90

Rob Hatton

Ricky Tarbard

Billy Rix

Paul Oshin 54'

Steve Willis

Brad Ling

Joe Pearman

Ben O'Brien (C)

James Peagram 86'

Petrit Elbi 90'

Joe Staunton

Omari Delgado 86'

Max Watters 54'

Liam Burgess 90'

Ben Higgs

Ashley Wackers-Kyriacou

Barking 5
Takeley 3

Barking leave it late to Take(ley) all three points

Barking just about got back to winning ways thanks to a 5-3 victory over Takeley at Mayesbrook Park. The Blues took an early lead thanks to Petrit Elbi but saw Takeley equalise and take the lead before a Joe Staunton equaliser was quickly cancelled out to see Takeley lead 3-2 at half time. However, Barking took the spoils after a double by James Peagram and one more for Max Watters. It took just two minutes for Barking to take the lead as James Peagram played Petrit Elbi through on goal who shot low from the right wing of the box and through the legs of goalkeeper Yates to give Blues an early advantage. Takeley didn’t panic and had the better of possession without any major chances before Joe Pearman nearly doubled the lead after 20 minutes from a short free kick but his shot was just wide. Rob Hatton then made two great saves to keep the Blues in the lead five minutes later as a cross from the right wing was headed towards goal with Hatton doing well to save and then with the rebound falling to the striker Hatton stayed brave to dive at the feet and block the shot. There was nothing Hatton could do after 29 minutes as a counter attack saw the ball switched to the left wing before a through ball found a Takeley striker through on goal who shot hard into the bottom left corner to level the scores. Blues had a chance to immediately retake the lead as Elbi beat the goalkeeper to the ball with it falling to Paul Oshin just outside the box. Unfortunately at an awkward angle Oshin tried to chip the goalkeeper which was successful but an alert defender was able to head the ball away from danger. Barking continued pushing forward but were punished from another counterattack as Takeley advanced down the left wing and with the winger attempting to cut in Steve Willis left out a trailing leg which fouled the Takeley winger leaving the ref with an easy penalty decision. Charlie Cole stepped up and sent Hatton the wrong way to give Takeley the lead. The lead only lasted seven minutes however as Joe Pearman cut in from the right and looped a cross to the far post where it was met by a volley from Joe Staunton who volleyed low into the bottom left corner of the net. It seemed the teams would go into the break level but the quick flurry of goals continued as a Takeley was floated to the penalty spot where it was met by a Takeley head and found its way into the top right corner of the net.

Barking started the second half on the front foot – Joe Staunton found himself nearly through on goal shortly after the restart and squared to Elbi but he was denied by a good save while Peagram cleared the bar after good hold up play by Willis. Barking had their deserved equaliser after 57 minutes as Joe Pearman cut into the box from the left wing and drove the ball across goal to leave James Peagram with an easy tap in at the far post. The Blues continued to push for the winner five minutes later as a corner found sub Max Watters on the edge of the box but his volley was saved by Yates. Takeley were not deterred themselves – firstly in the 68th minute they went close from a long range volley that was just over the bar and were denied on the counterattack as they looked to get a shot away thanks to a good block by Billy Rix. Barking were finally rewarded for their offensive ways with almost a carbon copy of the third goal – this time a Willis through ball over the top gave Elbi time and space on the right of the wing to put the ball across goal to James Peagram at the far post who yet again had an easy tap in at the 84 minute mark.

Takeley pushed forward in search of yet another equaliser but were caught out at the back as the game entered injury time as their high line was caught out by Ben O’Brien’s ball over the top which left Max Watters through 1-on-1 with Yates who rushed out of the box only to see Watters slot the ball under him and into the net to guarantee all three points for the Blues.

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Any opinions expressed in this report are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Barking Football Club.


Barking FC v Takeley FC - Saturday February 11th 2017


About Us

Barking Football Club established 1880. Who play at Mayesbrook Park and formerly at the Vicarage Field.

Terms of Use


Where are we

Get in Touch

  • Phone:
    0203 244 0069
  • Address:
    Mayesbrook Park, Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, Essex, RM8 2JR