Saturday 13th August 2016
Essex Senior League
Kick off: 3pm
Venue: Cricklefields Stadium
Attendance: 85
Current Form:L D W W W L

Michael Green

Ricky Tarbard

Brad Ling

Steve Willis

Ben Higgs

Ben O'Brien (C)

Joe Pearman 36'

Paul Oshin 75'

Petrit Elbi

Liam Burgess

John Bricknell 70'

James Peagram 36'

Timi Abiola

Ashley Wackers-Kyriacou

Joe Omogiate 70'

Billy Sendall

Glen Golby

Barkingside 1
Barking 0


After an impressive start to the season Barking were bought down to earth at Cricklefields as they succumbed to a 1-0 defeat away to Barkingside. Former blue Tyrone Scarlett gave Barkingside an early lead and they were able to hold on for the rest of the match despite Barking’s efforts, who saw two goals disallowed, perhaps one wrongly. The Blues need to bounce back quickly however as they face Enfield on Tuesday.

Barkingside had the majority of the early pressure and the pressure told as after seven minutes a long ball was headed to Steve Willis by Ben Higgs but Willis scuffed the back pass leading Scarlett an open run on goal against Michael Green who had no chance as Scarlett planted the ball into the right side of the net. It took until the 20th minute for any action near the Barkingside net as Barking, in their yellow kit, had a half penalty appeal turned down as Joe Pearman went down in the box. The yellows first real chance was after 33 minutes as Pearman from the edge of the box laid the ball back to Paul Oshin who passed sideways to Ben O’Brien but his side foot effort was wide of the post. There was a few half chances before half time as Barkingside saw a shot collected by Green before another effort went wide. The final chance went to Barking but Brad Ling headed a corner by Liam Burgess over the bar.

Scarlett nearly doubled the Barkingside lead three minutes into the second half as a long throw found him free in the box but his turn and shot was just wide of the post. Scarlett had another chance just a minute later, this time his effort was on target but Green did well to save with his feet before Higgs cleared the danger. Barking thought they had their equaliser for the first after 53 minutes as James Peagram, a first half substitute for Joe Pearman, latched onto a long ball and volleyed powerfully from a narrow angle with the goalkeeper palming it into the air where it dipped into the goal. With players from both side rushing towards goal to make sure it ended into the net the referee adjudged a foul against Barking that didn’t seem obvious at first glance. The yellows nearly suffered a double setback but Green was on hand to tip a cross/shot over the bar. Barking again had the ball in the net a minute later but this time John Bricknell was correctly adjudged to be offside as he smacked the ball across the goalkeeper and into the net. Bricknell continued to be in the action a minute later as he crossed to Burgess on the edge of the box but his side foot attempt was palmed by the Barkingside goalkeeper. The Barking pressure continued as Steve Willis saw a chance at redemption saved as he volleyed at goal after a knockdown by Petrit Elbi. Barking’s best chance fell to Steve Willis with ten minutes remaining as from a free kick Peagram saw a shot saved by the goalkeeper where it fell across goal to Willis but he skied the chance with the net open. His miserable afternoon was compounded as at the other end he lost the ball in a dangerous area before pulling down the striker through on goal leaving the referee with no chance but to send the defender off. ‘Side had the ball in the net minutes later but it was disallowed for offside. The final chance of the match did fall to Barking as they pressed for an equaliser with ten men but O’Brien blazed an effort from inside the box over the bar.

The final whistle signified the end of Barking’s 100% start in league and cup competitions but it is a result they cannot afford to dwell on as they face Enfield on Tuesday before hosting Stanway Rovers in the FA Cup.  

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Any opinions expressed in this report are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Barking Football Club.


Barkingside FC v Barking FC - Saturday August 13th 2016


About Us

Barking Football Club established 1880. Who play at Mayesbrook Park and formerly at the Vicarage Field.

Terms of Use


Where are we

Get in Touch

  • Phone:
    0203 244 0069
  • Address:
    Mayesbrook Park, Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, Essex, RM8 2JR