Tuesday 20th September 2016
Essex Senior Cup -
Second Round
Kick off: 7:45pm
Venue: Mayesbrook Park
Attendance: 31
Current Form: L W W W D W

Matheus Santos 5

Joe Pearman 55

James Peagram 62' 90+5

Glen Golby 75'

Michael Green

Ben Higgs

Brad Ling

Joe Staunton 75'

Glen Golby

Jay Taylor

Joe Pearman (C)

Liam Burgess

Ashley Wackers-Kyriacou

Timi Abiola 78'

Matheus Santos 46'

James Peagram 46'

Ricky Tarbard 78'

James Jaconelli 75'

Courtney Homans

Barking 5
Wivenhoe Town 2

Barking progressed to the third round of the Essex Senior Cup after a quality second half display saw them run out 5-2 winners at Mayesbrook Park against Thurlow Premier side Wivenhoe Town.  Matheus Santos scored after 5 minutes before an equaliser left the scores level at half time.  The second half saw the Blues run amok as Joe Pearman, Glen Golby and James Peagram (twice) hit the net.

Barking took an early lead after five minutes as pressure left Timi Abiola with space on the left wing to cross into the box – a poor clearance meant the ball fell to Matheus Santos who with the ball behind him turned and volleyed powerfully into the bottom right corner of the net for his second goal for the Blues on his first start. Wivenhoe did not lie down and had their first chance to find an equaliser after 15 minutes but a dangerous cross could only be headed wide. Michael Green was forced into his first save five minutes later as he produced a diving catch from a turn and shot. With the half hour mark approaching it was nearly another first as Ashley Wackers-Kyriacou went through on goal thanks to a lifted ball from makeshift right back Ben Higgs but the Wivenhoe goalkeeper stood tall to deny Wackers-Kyriacou with his body. Wivenhoe continued to look dangerous in attacking areas and they got an equaliser after 35 minutes as a driven low cross from the right wing was met by the stretching Matthew Eve who rifled the ball into the roof of the net. The chances flew in as half time loomed with two goalmouth scrambles – firstly in the Barking area as a free kick to the far post was headed back across goal before being cleared. Then, Abiola made a dangerous run into space in the middle before unleashing a dangerous shot which was palmed away but kept it play by the Blues. The cross into the box found Wackers-Kyriacou but his shot was blocked en route to goal before Abiola hooked the ball wide. Wivenhoe went close just before the half time whistle as a long range curling attempt clipped the top of the crossbar.

Barking were forced into a half-time change – Santos was forced off with a minor knock with James Peagram replacing him and this sub proved to be a pivotal moment in the game. Barking regained the lead ten minutes into the second half as a left wing attack saw Peagram reach the goal line before cutting the back to Joe Pearman past the outstretched legs of defenders leaving Pearman with an easy knock-in to an unguarded net. The away side had a chance for a quick equaliser moments later as a striker found himself through on goal but Green stayed low to scoop the ball away from his feet with his hands. Barking doubled the lead after 62 minutes as a through ball by Joe Pearman put target man Glen Golby through on goal but he calmly squared the ball to James Peagram who powered the ball into the net for his tenth of the season. Neither side managed to fashion another chance until the 75th minute saw the triumvirate of Pearman, Peagram and Golby combine again as a ball over the top found Peagram in space on the edge of the box but rather than cutting in and shooting he passed sideways to Glen Golbywho calmly side footed the ball across the goalkeeper and into the bottom right corner of the net. Wivenhoe kept fighting and got a route back into the game with just over five minutes remaining as another dangerous right wing cross was this time met by Marcus Spindler who nodded the ball into the net to make the score line 4-2.

Barking managed to stifle Wivenhoe to prevent any further chances but they managed to carve out one final chance for themselves very late in stoppage time as Wackers-Kyriacou somehow managed to hook the ball under control despite it looking destined for the touchline before curling the ball over the defenders to find the onrushing James Peagram. Peagram advanced on goal before calmly slotting the ball low past the goalkeeper at his near post for Barking’s fifth of the night. All eyes will now be on the third round draw to see our next opponents in this year’s Essex Senior Cup

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Any opinions expressed in this report are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Barking Football Club.

About Us

Barking Football Club established 1880. Who play at Mayesbrook Park and formerly at the Vicarage Field.

Terms of Use


Where are we

Get in Touch

  • Phone:
    0203 244 0069
  • Address:
    Mayesbrook Park, Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, Essex, RM8 2JR