Tuesday 23rd August 2016
Emirates FA Cup -
Prelimnary Round Replay
Kick off: 7:45pm
Venue: The Hawthorns
Attendance: 75
Current Form: W W L W D L

Paul Oshin 29'

James Peagram 108'

Jason Willis

Ricky Tarbard

Timi Abiola

Paul Oshin

Ben Higgs

Brad Ling 93' ET

Liam Burgess 65'

Ben O'Brien (C)

James Peagram

John Bricknell 75'

Joe Staunton

Joe Pearman

Joe Pearman 65'

Ashley Wackers-Kyriacou

Matheus Santos

Glen Golby 93' ET

Michael Green

Stanway Rovers 3
Barking 2

After Extra Time - 1-1 at 90 minutes


Barking were knocked out of the FA Cup at the Preliminary Round stage as they fell 3-2 to Stanway Rovers after extra time. Barking came close however, leading through a Paul Oshin header, only to be denied the win by a late Stanway penalty with James Peagram also missing a late penalty. Stanway pushed on to score two quickly after the break before James Peagram scored a free kick to give the Blues hope.

The best chance of the opening exchanges fell to Stanway as a dangerous corner found a Stanway head but the header was too close to Jason Willis. Ricky Tarbard headed a half chance wide but it was Barking who took the lead as Ben Higgs put a high ball to the left wing of the box where it found Paul Oshin who beat the left back in the aerial duel and found the net with a looping header with the goalkeeper stranded.

The game continued to be played out in the middle of the park but Stanway nearly found their equaliser just before half time as a deflected cross from the right wing found a striker free at the near post but his low effort was kept out by the feet of Willis who managed to smother the ball at the second attempt. Stanway continued to pressure and had one final chance in the first half thanks to a dangerous free kick but the Barking wall were quick off the mark to block it away.

The Stanway pressure continued early in the second half as a free kick found a Stanway head at the far post but the header across goal didn’t find a final touch. Barking had a good chance of their own as they won the ball from the Stanway defenders – Tarbard advanced into the box but his sidefooted attempt was over the bar.  In the 63rd minute Barking counterattacked – Joe Staunton laid the ball off to James Peagram his effort was blocked but it fell to John Bricknell who shot across keeper with an onrushing defender nearly scuffing his clearance into the net. As the game entered its final 15 minutes Stanway had yet another dangerous free kick but it was over the bar. Stanway continued to pressure and Willis was forced into another good save at his near post at the 80 minute mark as he palmed a powerful effort away from goal. Then, with five minutes remaining, the controversy started. James Peagram was found offside, harshly with loud protestations, with the free kick taken from the incorrect position. The ball was launched into the box and with players of both teams contesting the ball the referee blew for a penalty with Ricky Tarbard being booked. It seemed harsh with no obvious foul in a crowded box but it made no difference to Stanway as Jamie Shaw stepped up to power the ball past Willis who managed to get fingertips as he dived to his left. The referee seemed intent on levelling it up after awarding a poor penalty as Barking won a penalty in similar circumstances after a long throw into a congested box led to contact in the box. James Peagram stepped up and tried to power his penalty low and down the middle but the dragging feet of goalkeeper Hughes kept the ball out and meant extra time was to follow.

Barking’s mood got even worse a minute into extra time as a cross from the right wing caught Willis in no man’s land and a looping header from Shaw found its way into the net. The lead was doubled after 102 minutes as Stanway countered from a poor Barking free kick with Daniel Thrower finding himself free on the edge on the box before slotting low into the net leaving Willis no chance.

The goal glut continued into the second half as substitute Glen Golby was fouled leaving Barking with a free kick close to goal. James Peagram stepped up and powerfully sidefooted the ball over the wall and the ball found its way into top corner with the goalkeeper unable to a strong hand on the ball.

Barking continued to have chances as Golby saw a header over the bar before volleying wide. Golby continued to be at the centre of Barking’s chances and came closest with three minutes of extra time remaining as he smashed a shot from a central position 20 yards out which smacked the post thanks to the fingertips of ­Hughes. Stanway’s Kemp received a second yellow card for handball in stoppage time but Barking couldn’t take advantage as the final whistle blew on their FA Cup dreams for this year.

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Any opinions expressed in this report are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Barking Football Club.


Top to bottom are our goals 
Videos courtesy of Dan Wilson (@essexfootie)

About Us

Barking Football Club established 1880. Who play at Mayesbrook Park and formerly at the Vicarage Field.

Terms of Use


Where are we

Get in Touch

  • Phone:
    0203 244 0069
  • Address:
    Mayesbrook Park, Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, Essex, RM8 2JR