Date: Friday 28th January 2022
Pitching In Isthmian League North Division
Mayesbrook Park
Attendance: 182
Starters: James Shaw, Barney Williams, Louis Dillon, Kenidi Dariri, Elliot Omozusi (C),  Jay Leader, Flavio Jumo, Kieran Jones, Freddie Parker, George Purcell, Harvey Browne
Substitutes: Charlie Heatley, Tom Salter, Seb Towse, Osa Otete, James Folkes
HT Salter for Jones
62′ Heatley for Browne
68′ Folkes for Dillon
Kenny Aileru (Aveley) 30′ 0-1
Jon Benton (Aveley) 50′ 0-2
Jon Benton (Aveley) 79′ 0-3

Yellow cards: Parker, Shaw
Red cards: None



Barking couldn’t capitalise on Tuesday’s cup success as they fell to title challengers Aveley FC who recorded a comfortable 3-0 victory in our fifth meeting this evening in which the Millers have taken all of the spoils in the league. A first half screamer for Kenny Aileru was added to twice in the second half by Jon Benton.

The first 15 minutes were mainly equal with Aveley looking the more dangerous going forward and ended the first third with a shot from the left wing that was just over the bar. Barking nearly had the lead after 19 minutes, Freddie Parker nodded on a long kick by Shaw and it fell to Purcell who while in on goal from a narrow angle squared the ball across goal where it found Harvey Browne but his driven effort was blocked on the goa line by the thigh of a defender. Purcell had a chance of his own after 21 minutes after he cut in from the right wing but his effort landed in the side netting. It was Aveley however who had the majority of the ball and they had the lead too after 30 minutes as Kenny Aileru cut in from the left wing and unleashed a thunderbolt which gave James Shaw no chance as it smacked into the right corner of the net. The rest of the first half passed without note but with Aveley in the ascendancy as they attempted to add to their lead.

Barking started the second half strongly but Aveley doubled their lead with only five minutes on the clock as a dink over the top found Jon Benton and even though his volley wasn’t the most powerful it wrongfooted James Shaw and squeezed into the net. Aveley nearly made it three after 57 minutes from a counterattack but a curled effort clipped the post. Purcell saw an effort go over the bar after 70 minutes as Barking huffed and puffed without showing any real danger and the points where sown up after 79 minutes – Shaw was penalised (and cautioned) for a trip outside the box and Benton stepped up to despatch the freekick over the wall and into the net to secure all three points and ensure a tough Friday night at the office for the Blues.


We are back to cup action on Tuesday evening when we travel for the first time to the Queen Elizabeth II stadium to take on Enfield Town in the third round of the Velocity Trophy.

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Barking FC v Aveley FC - Friday January 28th 2022

Click above to open in a new window


To read/download a digital version of the match programme click on the above image