Date: Friday 12th November 2021
London Senior Cup Second Round
Mayesbrook Park
Attendance: 62
Starters: James Shaw, James Folkes, Barney Williams, Ben O’Brien, Elliot Omozui (C), Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway, Daniel McCullock, Olu Oluwatimelehin, Ayo Odukoya, George Purcell, Jess Norey
Substitutes: Aaron Blair, Adeyemi Ayodele, Osaretin Otote, Charlie Heatley, Kieran Jones
90+1′ Jones for McCullock
Jack Mazzone (Met Police) 
Oluwatimelehin 14′ 1-1
Purcell 35′ 2-1
Yellow cards: Shaw, Folkes, Williams, Oluwatimelehin, Odukoya
Red cards: None



This was our first meeting with Metropolitan Police since March 2003 in the fourth round of the London Senior cup – a match which finished 2-2 after extra time and ended with the Blues being eliminated 4-2 on penalties.

This was also our first win over ‘The Met’ since a 2-0 victory in a home Isthmian League Division 2 fixture in November 2000. Also, it is the first time we have won two successive London Senior cup ties since our last quarter final appearance against Dulwich Hamlet in January 2019.

There were three changes to the starting line up since our last game (and previous tie in this competition) against London Salamis with Elliot Omozusi, Daniel McCullock and Jess Norey coming into the team.

The game kicked off ten minutes late due to the heavy Friday night traffic. All of the goals came in the first half and there was the worst start possible for the home side on five minutes as they turned off and allowed a Met player a free run on goal and he was promptly fouled by James Shaw, who received a yellow card and the Met received a penalty. Jack Mazzone beat Shaw from the spot, on 11 minutes it could have been worse for Barking as the visitors had the ball in the net a second time but the Assistant Referee’s flag denied them a two goal lead. Three minutes later Olu Oluwatimelehin equalised for Barking and the comeback was complete ten minutes from half time as George Purcell scores his eighth goal of the season and what transpired to be the match winner.

The second half found both sides unable to fashion another goal and Barking were able to marshal their defensive resolve and not concede another goal and allow The Met back into the game.

The result means that we now face a trip to Kent to take on Erith Town for the first time in the quarter finals – Erith have beaten Clapton and Cray Valley PM on their way to the last eight. 

We return to league action on Saturday as we travel to the Ram Meadow stadium to take on Bury Town.

Report source: Terry Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


To read/download a digital version of the match programme click on the above image