Date: Tuesday 24th October 2023
Essex Senior Cup Second Round
Attendance: 38
Venue: Myrak Park
Starters: Harry Girling, Brad Rowland, Kenedi Dariri, Joe Clark, Aundre Spencer (C), Fahad Nynja, Jack Dickinson, Kai Haysman, Yassier Nazor, Gael Kileba, Luke Hirst
Substitutes: Kelvin Boampong, Karl Kayembe, Oumar Ndao, David Owiredu, Addae Papponette
HT Kayembe for Clark
59′ Papponette for Nazor
61′ Boampong for Spencer
82′ Owiredu for Kileba
82′ Ndao for Haysman
42’ Buckhurst Hill 0-1
77’ Buckhurst Hill 0-2
88’ Dickinson 1-2
Yellow cards: Kayemba, Haysman
Red cards: None



Barking’s journey in the Essex Senior Cup came to an unfortunate end in a match marked by missed opportunities and despite a late goal from Jack Dickinson the Blues found themselves on the wrong side of a 2-1 scoreline. Meaning it was the Stags of Buckhurst Hill who booked their place in the third round.

Early on Gael Kileba showed his usual promise by making a run into the box, but his final pass came up short, and his subsequent shot was gathered by the home keeper Alex Reed. In the tenth minute Barking created an opportunity from a Brad Rowland free-kick that caused problems in the home box, the ball pinged around amidst a scramble, but no Barking player could find a clear shot on goal. On 27 minutes a foul on Kileba led to a free-kick taken by Yassier Nazor, but Fahad Nyanja’s header cleared the bar. Just after the half hour mark Kileba again proved to be the driving force as he worked his way into the box and set up the well-positioned Nazor. But his firm shot struck the bar and sailed over. Two minutes later the same combination of Kileba and Nazor nearly bore fruit, but Nazor’s shot was saved by Reed. Despite these missed efforts Barking in the 42nd minute were clinically punished for not taking their chances. Failure to clear the ball down the left side allowed Buckhurst Hill to send it across the box and with enough time and space a home attacker beat Harry Girling with a low shot to put the home side ahead.

At the start of the second half Barking were determined to step up their game, starting on the front foot with some nice passing. However, the final ball often eluded them. Their first chance of the half came from a recycled corner, but Nazor was wide of the mark with his header. As the half progressed, Barking created chances but struggled to convert them. This increased the danger of conceding a second goal. Unfortunately, that’s precisely what happened in the 77th minute; following a throw-in the ball was played in and with the slightest of touches a home player diverted the ball was past the helpless Girling and into the net The Blues did rally and in the 88th minute, Jack Dickinson seized on an opportunity arising from confusion surrounding a throw-in, he ran through to beat Reed and pulled one back to make it 2-1.


Barking couldn’t create another gilt-edged chance, even after Buckhurst Hill were reduced to ten men late in added time due to a second yellow card offence and exited the Essex Senior cup reflecting on what could have been if their finishing had been just a bit sharper.

It is back to the league and the Lawtech Stadium on Saturday afternoon as Halstead Town are the visitors with a 3pm kick off.

Report source: Terry Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Buckhurst Hill FC v Barking FC - Tuesday October 24th 2023

Click above to open in a new window