Date: Saturday 29th July 2023
Essex Senior League

Lawtech Stadium
Attendance: 136
Starters: Harry Girling, Kenedi Dariri, Tom Troubridge, Aundre Spencer, Henry Mabassa, Harvey Brown (C), Bradleigh Rowland, Fahad Nynja, Martin Tuohy, Kai Haysman, Gabriel Oloko
Substitutes: Christian Adu-Gyamfi, Isioma Richard, Matthew Cambridge, Samraj Gill, Caiden Imbert-Thomas

HT Richard for Troubridge
61′ Gill for Haysman
71′ Adu-Gyamfi for Rowland
Adu-Gyamfi 90+2′ 1-0

Yellow cards: None
Red cards: None



The Blues got the new season underway with a win secured late on against Buckhurst Hill as Christian Adu-Gyamfi bundled home from a corner in injury time for a 1-0 victory. This meant we have been victorious on the last three opening days and was our first league victory over today’s opponents.

Lee Benson’s new look side started with only one player – Kenedi Dariri – remaining from last May’s Errington Challenge cup final. Although there was another familiar face in Isioma Richard who has been out injured since last November and made a welcome second half appearance as a substitute. This left twelve players making their Barking debut.

An equal first ten minutes was ended with two dangerous free kicks for Buckhurst Hill, but neither caused much danger, with the closest hitting the side netting. Barking also went close from a free kick after 12 minutes but Kai Haysman’s dipping dead ball effort clipped the corner of the crossbar. 


Five  minutes later and the Blues went close again but Martin Tuohy’s headed effort from Kenedi Dariri’s cross was wide of the target. Buckhurst Hill forced Girling into a comfortable save after 23 minutes, which was probably his only notable save of the half. There was a 15 minute lull before Alex Reed was forced into his first save for Buckhurst Hill as Tuohy latched onto Harry Girling’s long clearance, expertly bringing it down, jinking past one defender and shot low to Reed’s right but he was equal to it and he was able to palm it away.

The second half was even quieter than the first, with both sides on occasion breaking the defensive line before being denied by high quality last ditch tackles, with Henry Mabassa consistently sliding in, hard, fair and most importantly clean. Barking starting to threaten with the game entering the final ten minutes, Harvey Brown’s high through ball was latched onto by Gabriel Oloko but his effort on the stretch bounced wide of the target. Even though they didn’t test Reed, Barking were the better side in the second half and got their reward thanks to their substitutes in second half injury time: a corner to the far post by Samraj Gill bounced around the six yard box before squeezing past Reed and into the net with Christian Adu-Gyamfi being credited with the final touch.


There were six minutes of injury time signalled so there was still time for Buckhurst Hill to try and claw an equaliser and Girling did have to make one diving save but he was able to preserve his clean sheet on debut for the Blues and all three points.

Our next game is in the league and is an away trip on Wednesday evening when we travel to Great Wakering to take on White Ensign with a 7:45pm kick off.

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Barking FC v Buckhurst Hill FC - Saturday July 29th 2023

Click above to open in a new window


To read/download a digital version of the match programme click on the above image