Date: Tuesday 30th January 2024
Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy Second Round
West Street
Attendance: 44
Starters: Max Spence, Jack Dickinson, Kenedi Dariri, Jack Folan, Joe Clark, Fahad Nyanja (C), Troy Osei-Bobie, Karl Kayembe, Luke Hirst, Warren Kayembe, Shaye La-Rose
Substitutes: Greg Akpele, Sam Dowridge, Brad Rowland, Bleron Ademi, Ross Elsom
58′ Rowland for Dickinson
58′ Akpele for Kayembe (W)
71′ Dowridge for Osei-Bobie
85′ Elsom for Folan
85′ Ademi for La-Rose
Dowridge 84′ 1-0

Yellow cards: Hirst
Red cards: None



In a hard-fought encounter against Coggeshall Town, Barking left it late but ultimately clinched a spot in the quarter-finals of the Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy and by doing so extended our unbeaten run to 14 matches in league and cup competitions. 

The vital strike came courtesy of Sam Dowridge’s clinical finish six minutes from time. Last season we reached the semi final of this cup before being eliminated by eventual winners Redbridge.and now are away to Hullbridge Sports. 

Coggeshall asserted themselves early in the match, dominating the opening exchanges. However, Barking’s resolute defence stood firm and denied the home side any clear opportunities. Warren Kayembe’s attempt to increase the tempo was thwarted by the alert Coggeshall keeper Aaron Cassie. Just after the quarter hour mark Max Spence, our own goalkeeper, was called into action, making a crucial save to deny Coggeshall from taking the lead following some loose play by the visitors. Barking gradually found their rhythm: Shaye La-Rose unleashed a tantalising cross in the 24th minute which is met by Jack Dickinson, only to be denied by Cassie’s timely intervention. The visitors went even closer in the 29th minute as Karl Kayembe’s cross found Luke Hirst, whose shot rebounded off the post, 


Once again, Spence makes a crucial save on 32, this time thwarting an attempt from Reggie Gregory of Coggeshall during a breakaway from a Barking free kick. As the first half drew to a close, aside from Hirst’s offside effort hitting the post the score remained level.

The second half kicked off with Barking pressing for the opening goal. Warren Kayembe’s header narrowly missed the target from a well-delivered cross. The match maintained a similar pattern to the first half, with neither side creating clear-cut chances. However, as the clock ticked on, Barking gradually seized control. A breakthrough nearly occurred in the 60th minute when substitute Greg Akpele struck the post but like Hirst in the first half was flagged offside. In the 79th minute, we came agonisingly close as from Jack Folan’s free kick Karl Kayembe’s shot struck the bar. 


Just a minute later a shot from Akpele is blocked, and his follow-up finds the side netting. The breakthrough finally came in the 84th minute. Karl Kayembe’s delivery into the box is nodded on by Hirst, setting up Sam Dowridge. Displaying nimble footwork, he found the net with a low shot for a composed finish.


With three minutes left, Hirst embarked on an excellent run down the right flank, cutting in and narrowly missing the target with a powerful shot. Five minutes into added time Coggeshall forced successive corners and from the second Barking nearly capitalised, as Kayembe released Hirst. Despite rounding Cassie, Hirst’s shot was blocked and that was the last kick of the game as the final whistle went straight afterward.

We continue the cup action on Saturday as we return to Burroughs Park for the second week running to meet White Ensign as we begin our defence of the Errington Challenge Cup won in a dramatic penalty shoot out against Redbridge last May.

Report source: Terry Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Coggeshall Town FC v Barking FC - Tuesday January 30th 2024

Click above to open in a new window