Date: Saturday 16th September 2023
Essex Senior League
Lawtech Stadium
Attendance: 74
Starters: Miraldie Ndunzi, Kenedi Dariri, Joe Clark, Ehizojie Onoabhagbe, Aundre Spencer, Harvey Brown (C), Brad Rowland, Jack Dickinson, Luke Hirst, Ibrahim Kehinde, Yassier Nazor
Substitutes: Gael Kileba, Martin Tuohy, Kai Haysman, Tom Troubridge, David Owiredu
56′ Tuohy for Kehinde
56′ Kileba for Brown
83′ Owiredu for Nazor
90′ Troubridge for Hirst
Jack Zielinski (Coggeshall) 35′ 0-1
Alfie Gilby (Coggeshall) 37′ 0-2
Rowland 38 1-2
Hirst 45+2 2-2
Tuohy 77′ 3-2
Yellow cards: Rowland
Red cards: None



Barking finally brought their winless run to the end against basement side Coggeshall Town as they ran out 3-2 winners but had to come from two nil down to secure the points. Brad Rowland and Luke Hirst made it two goals in two for themselves before half time before Martin Tuohy scored the winner in the second half.

The home side included two new signings: Ehizojie Onoabhagbe or Martin as he prefers to be known as and with Harry Girling starting a suspension Miraldie Ndunzi replaced him between the sticks.

Coggeshall had the better of the ball in the first ten minutes but the first main chance fell to Barking’s Jack Dickinson after 12 minutes as he lifted a bouncing ball over the bar from a narrow angle. The Blues had to defend bravely moments later as they failed to clear a cross and had to throw themselves in front of the ball to protect the goal. The Coggeshall one-two punch combo hit after the 35th minute – a right wing attack saw a low cross met at the near post and Jack Zielinski’s low stretching effort found the net. The lead was doubled two minutes later as a set piece was crossed to the far past and then side footed back across goal where it found Alfie Gilby unmarked who had an easy job to nod it into the net. A breathless few minutes continued as Barking then halved the lead: Jack Dickinson’s low ball across goal found the onrushing Brad Rowland who had an easy job to tap the ball home. 

Barking were re energised by the goal and got a deserved equaliser in first half stoppage time as after good interchange between Kenedi Dariri and Rowland his low cross was just a bit too far from Yassein Nazor to shoot but he was able to cut the ball back to Luke Hirst who drove the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.

The second half only saw two moments of any real note before the Barking goal, as Nazor and Ibrahim Kehinde saw their efforts in the 50th and 51st minute respectively go wide of the goal. Coggeshall do have the ball in the net again but the Assistant Referee’s flag is up straight away. Barking however completed their comeback after 77 minutes as the Blues took advantage of a poor goal kick from visiting keeper Aaron Cassie who seemed to have a muscular knock,  Luke Hirst bought the ball down and played a slide rule pass for Martin Tuohy who took the ball around Cassie and slid the ball into the empty net. 

Coggeshall pushed forward and Barking had chances to secure the win with substitute David Owiredu also rounding the goalkeeper but this time Owiredu couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and into the net under pressure from the Coggeshall defenders.

As Woodford Town are still in the FA Vase next Friday’s match has been postponed and will now take place on Wednesday October 18th, we are next in action on Tuesday September 26th with a short trip to Frenford in the first round of the Essex Senior cup.

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC
Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Barking FC v Coggeshall Town FC - Saturday September 16th 2023

Click above to open in a new window


To read/download a digital version of the match programme click on the above image