Date: Tuesday 26th September 2023
Essex Senior Cup First Round
The Jack Carter Centre
Attendance: 82
Starters: Miraldie Ndunzi, Joe Clark, Henry Mabassa, Cairan Burke, Ehizojie Onoabhagbe, Jack Dickinson, Harvey Brown (C), David Owiredu, Gael Kileba, Martin Tuohy, Kai Haysman
Substitutes: Yassier Nazor, Tom Troubridge, Godwin Fuma, Addae Papponette, Kenedi Dariri,
HT Fuma for Tuohy
51′ Dariri for Mabassa
57′ Troubridge for Clark
58′ Nazor for Burke
64′ Paponette for Owiredu
Liam Foster (Frenford) 7′ 0-1
Haysman 15′ 1-1
Kileba 20′ 2-1
Yellow cards: Mabassa, Clark, Ndunzi, Troubridge
Red cards: None



Barking frustrated Frenford on their own patch with goals from Gael Kileba and Kai Haysman after the home side had taken an early lead, the yellow shirted Blues then defended solidly in the second half to ensure that we now meet Buckhurst Hill in the second round on a future date. Both scorers registered their first goals in a Barking shirt…

Also catching the eye were the young guns of Barking:17 year old academy scholar Addae Papponette making his debut from the bench by coming on as a second half sub to join fellow substitute 16 year old Godwin Fuma, 

Papponette who is a striker showed he has promise by nearly scoring on his debut.

The match got off to a quick start as Barking showed their intent right from the beginning. Gael Kileba won an early corner, but Frenford’s defence managed to clear the danger. In the third minute Harvey Brown’s free-kick was pushed away by Frenford’s goalkeeper Matt Knight, but during the ensuing scramble no Barking player could turn it home. However, it was Frenford who struck first in the seventh minute after they won a free-kick. Their initial effort rattled the bar, but Liam Foster pounced on the rebound who had the time and space to pick his spot and make it one nil. Eight minutes later Barking responded swiftly, with Martin Tuohy flicking the ball on to free Kai Haysman who goes on to calmly beat Knight with a low shot to equalise at 1-1. 


A moment of slack defending from Barking in the 18th minute allowed a Frenford attacker a sight of goal, but fortunately his shot sailed over the bar. Gael Kileba continued to be a thorn in Frenford’s side and in the 20th minute he evaded several challenges before firing in another low shot that struck the post on its way into the net to put Barking ahead 2-1.


Despite Frenford enjoying more possession, Barking’s defence held firm, limiting any clear-cut chances for the home side. 

The second half mirrored the first, with Frenford applying consistent pressure on Barking’s defence through free kicks, corners and throw-ins, but Barking demonstrated their resilience time and again by thwarting Frenford’s attempts on goal. Miraldie Ndunzi, deputising for the suspended Harry Girling, made a crucial save in the 52nd minute turning a goalbound shot over the bar to ensure Barking maintained their lead. In the 76th minute, Papponette had an opportunity but saw his shot blocked for a corner, this shot marked Barking’s first real effort in a while. In the 81st minute Godwin Fuma had a chance after receiving a pass from Kileba but the ball got stuck under his feet and the chance was lost. 


Shortly after Ndunzi spills a catch in a dangerous area but the Barking defenders manage to clear the danger. After two minutes of added time Papponette nearly got the third goal by winning the ball and embarking on a surging run from his own half towards goal and this ended with a shot which forced Knight into a crucial save with his feet.

We return to the Essex senior League and meet FC Clacton at the Lawtech Stadium on Saturday with a 3pm kick off.

Report source: Terry Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.

Frenford FC v Barking FC - Tuesday September 26th 2023

Click above to open in a new window