Date: Saturday 28th October 2023
Essex Senior League 
Lawtech Stadium
Attendance: 47
Starters: Harry Girling, Kenedi Dariri, Tom Troubridge, Joe Clark, Aundre Spencer (C), Brad Rowland, Fahad Nynja, Jake Gordon, Gael Kileba, Martin Tuohy, Luke Hirst
Substitutes: Karl Kayembe, Kai Haysman, Yassier Nazor, Oumar Ndao, David Owiredu
HT Ndao for Kileba
HT Kayembe for Gordon
HT Nazor for Spencer
HT Haysman for Nynja
82′ Owiredu for Tuohy
Ade Funbi (Halstead) 1′ 0-1
Jake Brown (Halstead) 9′ 0-2
Robbie Bennett (Halstead) 27′ 0-3
Alfie Cleal (Halstead) 31′ 0-4
Alfie Cleal (Halstead) 40′ 0-5
Sonny Dutton (Halstead) 84′ 0-6
Yellow cards: Clark
Red cards: None



Barking suffered a Halloween horror show as they were yet again resoundingly beaten by a direct, physical, well-organised team in the form of  Halstead Town who ran out 6-0 winners at the Lawtech Stadium.

For the second week running the Blues conceded in the first minute, Harry Girling doing well to block an initial effort out for a corner, but Barking failed to properly clear the corner and a cross back into the six yard box was met by Ade Funbi who nodded home from close range.


Martin Tuohy saw his half volley just clear the bar after five minutes but Halstead doubled their lead with nine minutes on the clock: a long throw was flicked towards his own goal by a Barking defender which Girling managed to divert from goal but it fell at the feet of Jake Brown who tapped home at the far post.


Tuohy again went close after 18 minutes, latching onto Luke Hirst’s flick on before rounding Halstead keeper Jack Cherry but he hit the outside of the post from a narrowing angle. Three minutes later Jake Gordon nodded Gael Kileba’s far post cross towards goal but Cherry was quick to get across and collect comfortably. It was 3-0 after 27 minutes, another long throw resulted in some pinball football and included Girling making a save, with the ball high in the air it was nodded to the far post and, despite appeals for a goal kick, it was cut back across goal and powered home by Robbie Bennett. Four minutes later it was 4-0 as a left wing cross was headed close to Girling by Alfie Cleal, despite the Barking keeper making the initial save he could only watch as the ball rebounded off Cleal and into the net. The shellshocked Blues conceded again with five minutes of the first half remaining as another long throw found its way to the far post and was headed home by Alfie Cleal for his second and Halstead’s fifth.

If it was a boxing match it would have been stopped at half time but the full 90 had to be played with both sides mainly going through the motions in the second half. It took until the 62nd minute for any sort of chance of note as substitute Kai Haysman’s cross was met by Tuohy at the far post but Cherry did well to claw away his low header with his fingertips. Tuohy had another chance moments later after Yasseir Nazor’s effort was saved but his bouncing volley was again too close to Cherry. Halstead hit the post after 70 minutes, a quick free kick was lifted over the defence but a chipped effort by Harry Pinkney from a narrow angle hit the inside of the post and fell at the feet of Girling who collected. Joe Clark headed a side footed effort off the line from the visitors Joel Older after Girling advanced out of the box and forced the at wide. It just delayed the inevitable however as Halstead got their sixth after 84 minutes as a right wing attack was cut back for the onrushing Sonny Dutton to have an easy tap-in.

There is no midweek match but we hit the road next Saturday to meet Saffron Walden Town for our next league fixture.

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Barking FC v Halstead Town FC - Saturday October 28th 2023

Click above to open in a new window


To read/download a digital version of the match programme click on the above image