Date: Tuesday 19th March 2024
Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy Quarter Final 
Lower Road
Attendance: 59

Starters: Max Spence, George Forrest, Shaye La-Rose, Kenedi Dariri (C), Michael Aziaya, Joe Clark, Brad Rowland, Karl Kayembe, Luke Hirst, Warren Kayembe, Sam Dowridge
Substitutes: Jack Folan, Connor Witherspoon, Jack Dickinson, Declan Nche, Izzy Bademosi
HT Nche for Clark
HT Witherspoon for Dowridge
56′  Bademosi for Kayembe (W)
56′ Folan for Hirst
63′ Dickinson for Kayembe (K)

Rowland 42′ 1-0
Yellow cards: Hirst, Kayembe (K), Witherspoon
Red cards: None



Barking secured a spot in the semi-finals of the Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy for the second consecutive year. Victory was clinched by a narrow 1-0 scoreline, Brad Rowland’s goal in the 42nd minute ultimately proving to be the decisive factor in the match.

Barking fielded a strong starting eleven, backed up by an equally strong bench that was fully utilised in the second half.

The game kicked off with a brisk pace, but neither goalkeeper was truly tested for most of the first half. However, on 14 minutes, a Hullbridge free kick caused some trouble for Barking keeper Max Spence problems as he turned the ball round the post and he was then forced into another keep the score level. Barking started to assert themselves with shots from Sam Dowridge and Brad Rowland, although neither found the target. In the 28th minute, a promising passage of play ended with Warren Kayembe heading over, this was followed by Rowland delivering to Luke Hirst whose flick header was comfortably collected by Brad Davison in the home goal. As the first half progressed, both teams struggled to create clear-cut chances until three minutes before halftime when Dowridge found Brad Rowland, who took the ball on the run and confidently drilled the ball past Davison to give Barking the lead and score his fifth goal of the season in the process. 


The goal injected some energy into Barking’s play and they created a couple of chances in added time, with Hirst’s shot saved and Karl Kayembe’s effort narrowly missing the target.

Half time Hullbridge Sports 0 Barking 1.

Early in the second half, Hullbridge pressed for an equaliser while Barking looked to capitalise on the break. Tobi Coker of Hullbridge had a half chance but couldn’t find a teammate with his cross. Hullbridge then came agonisingly close to levelling the score on the hour mark when a shot hit the post. Barking’s first notable break in a while came in the 68th minute when substitute Izzy Bademosi displayed skillful footwork to create space, but his cross eluded fellow sub Jack Dickinson.Hullbridge continued to push for an equaliser and on 74 thought they had one when a long cross into the box was headed goalward by Oscar Onuorah and Max Spence who seemed to be going the wrong way managed to get something on the ball and it was subsequently cleared.Five minutes later Hullbridge have another chance through Coker which is deflected behind for a corner and from that a Spence punch produces another and finally there is a Hullbridge shot sailed over the bar, but Barking’s defence held firm. As the game approached its conclusion, neither goalkeeper was seriously tested and Barking successfully saw out the remaining minutes of normal and added time to qualify for the semi final.

We are now set to face either Saffron Walden Town or Great Wakering Rovers in the semi-final. However, the date for their quarter-final match has yet to be scheduled.

Meanwhile we are away again this coming Saturday afternoon as we travel to the Milbank Stadium to meet Halstead Town in our next Essex Senior League match.

Report source: Terry Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Hullbridge Sports FC v Barking FC - Tuesday March 19th 2024

Click above to open in a new window