Date: Tuesday 14th November 2023
London Senior Cup First Round
Lawtech Stadium
Attendance: 137
Starters: Ben Lane, Brad Rowland, Leonardo Elezaj, Jack Folan, George Forrest, Kenedi Dariri (C), Jack Dickinson, Karl Kayembe, Luke Hirst, Anthony Martin, Shaye La-Rose
Substitutes: Declan Nche, Fahad Nyanja, Mohammed Diallo, Greg Akpele, Joahua Fisayo
HT Nynja for Elezaj
HT Nche for Martin
55′ Diallo for Hirst
84′ Fisayo for Kayembe
90+2′ Akpele for Diallo
Folan 20′ 1-0

Yellow cards: Elezaj
Red cards: None



In a resolute and well organised display, Barking secured a place in the second round of the London Senior Cup by defeating the young professionals of Leyton Orient. Jack Folan’s 20th-minute strike proved to be the difference between the sides, earning Barking a deserved victory and setting up a second-round clash against Haringey Borough.

The match saw the introduction of three new players, with George Forrest and Leonardo Elezaj starting, and Mohamed Diallo featuring from the bench.

Despite Orient being the professional outfit and starting the game with expected intensity, Barking matched their energy and effort in the early stages, gradually gaining control of the proceedings. In the 12th minute, the Blues had their first chance when Jack Folan’s free kick was headed into the arms of the Orient keeper Lenny Holden by George Forrest. Orient responded with their first shot on target in the 16th minute, but Barking’s goalkeeper Ben Lane comfortably saved. The breakthrough came in the 20th minute when Luke Hirst played the ball to Jack Folan, who fired a powerful shot from outside the penalty area that bounced off Holden and into the net, this proved to be the winner and marked Folan’s first goal in a Barking shirt after 45 appearances.


Barking continued to assert themselves, nearly doubling their lead in the 30th minute when Folan’s corner struck the post and bounced away from the goal and unfortunately not into it. Orient had their moments, particularly in the 42nd minute with a sweeping move into the Barking area, but their inability to produce a quality finish left them trailing at the break.

The pattern persisted into the second half, with Orient attempting to breach the Barking rearguard. However, the home defence held firm and repelled any advances, with goalkeeper Ben Lane tidying up anything that managed to get past the defensive shield in front of him. Barking’s best chances in the second half included a run on goal by Hirst in the 53rd minute but he was denied by a good tackle by Holden who had left his goal unguarded, a promising run and cross by Shaye La-Rose in the 64th minute and a chance from a free-kick in the 83rd minute when Folan’s delivery was headed over by sub Fahad Nynja. The last notable chance came from another substitute Joshua Fisayo in the 89th minute, who weaved into the box but his shot fizzed over the bar.

In the end, Barking’s resolute defence and Folan’s early strike secured a well-deserved victory, setting the stage for a second round encounter with Haringey Borough.

We have our first dose of Friday night football as we return to the hunt for Essex Senior League points and travel to Myrak Park to take on Buckhurst Hill with a 7:45pm kick off.

Report source: Terry Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Barking FC v Leyton Orient FC  - Tuesday November 14th 2023

Click above to open in a new window


To read/download a digital version of the match programme click on the above image