Date: Saturday 2nd March 2024
Essex Senior League
Lawtech Stadium
Attendance: 147
Starters: Dan Purdue, Brad Rowland, Kenedi Dariri, Jack Folan, George Forrest, Fahad Nyanja (C), Jack Dickinson, Karl Kayembe, Luke Hirst, Tony Martin, Shaye La-Rose
Substitutes: Bleron Ademi, Joe Clark, Sam Dowridge, Warren Kayembe, Greg Akpele
57′ Dowridge for Dickinson
69′ Akpele for Martin
69′ Clark for Forrest
79′ Ademi for Rowland
79′ Kayembe (W) for La-Rose

Hassan Nalbant (Romford) 38′ 0-1
Ashaan Siddik (Romford) 64′ 0-2

Yellow cards:Akpele
Red cards: None



Barking saw their record-levelling unbeaten run come to an end at fellow play-off chasers Romford who ended up with nine men but 2-0 winners.

The starting eleven remained unchanged from last Saturday’s win over Ilford with the only changes on the bench with Joe Clark and Sam Dowridge replacing Michael Toner and Giovanni Palmer.

Romford were in control for most of the game and should have had the lead after 12 minutes, as the Blues were caught out by a quick throw which was crossed into the box but Finlay Dorrell fired wide with the goal gaping. Romford saw their manager Dan Spinks sent off for two quick yellow cards on 24 and then Barking finally had their first attempt on goal after 30 minutes as Jack Folan shot wide. Five minutes later and Romford continued to pressure with a succession of corners, Barking finally managed to counter but Luke Hirst couldn’t capitalise on Jack Dickinson’s through ball. Romford took a deserved lead moments later, a long throw was launched into the box and after some pinball the ball fell to Hassan Nalbant who side foot volleyed the ball into the top corner. Barking was given a way back into the game just before half time as a minor scuffle saw Junior Luke sent off for raising his hands.

Barking’s first chance of note came after 56 minutes as Luke Hirst latched onto a dinked ball over the top but he dragged his effort just wide. Barking were punished for their lack of rhythm with the ball after 64 minutes as a long ball was nodded down to Ashaan Siddik and he drove on goal before half-volleying past Dan Purdue at his near post to double Romford’s lead and double Barking’s problems. Barking had plenty of the ball but after that, they simply could not break down a resolute and organised deep Romford defensive line. Barking’s last real chance of note came with just two minutes left, Greg Akpele cut the ball back from the byline and found Warren Kayembe in the box who saw his effort shot saved but still spinning towards goal until it was cleared by Scott Doe. Even with the game won there was still time for Romford silliness as Hassan Nalbant received a second yellow for delaying the restart deep into injury time.

We leave the league behind on Tuesday evening as we travel to Dartford FC’s Princes Park Stadium to meet the Under 23 side of Charlton Athletic in the quarter finals of the London Senior cup

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Barking FC v Romford FC - Saturday March 2nd 2024

Click above to open in a new window


To read/download a digital version of the match programme click on the above image