Date: Tuesday 9th April 2024
Errington Challenge Cup Quarter Final
Catons Lane
Attendance: 101
Starters: Max Spence, Kenedi Dariri (C), Joe Clark, Jack Folan, Pat Ahern, Fahad Nyanja, Jack Dickinson, Karl Kayembe, Luke Hirst, Sam Dowridge, Warren Kayembe
Substitutes: Bleron Ademi, George Forrest, Brad Rowland, Shaye La-Rose, Declan Nche
53′ La-Rose for Clark
60′ Rowland for Dickinson
61′ Nche for Dowridge
83′ Ademi for Kayembe (W)
Solomon Ofori (Saffron Walden) 90′ 0-1
Yellow cards: Nyanja, Dickinson, Clark
Red cards: None


Defeat to a last-minute goal saw Barking relinquish their grip on the Errington Cup at saturated Saffron Walden on Tuesday evening.

A heavy pre-game cloud burst left a slick surface. And Barking, playing in a 4-4-2 formation, looked to establish their passing game right from the kick-off.

It took quarter of an hour for the Blues to fashion their first real chance of the game as Kenedi Dariri’s cross to the far post was played back by Sam Dowridge to Luke Hirst but the strikers shot lacked power and direction. The hosts almost opened the scoring a minute later but were denied by an acrobatic double save from young goalkeeper Max Spence, who again excelled with another mature performance. On 20 minutes Warren Kayembe played a lovely little ball through to Dowridge but his shot from the edge of the box sailed over the crossbar. Four minutes later Fahad Nyanja became the first player to get booked for a foul on the edge of the visitors penalty area but the resultant free-kick from Solomon Ofori was similarly high and wide. Towards the end of the first half Barking gained dominance in possession with Joe Clarke’s long throws causing the Walden defence repeated problems. Dowridge shot wide on 40 minutes before the best move of the half from Barking saw Jack’s Folan and Dickinson combine down the right-hand side and Dickinson’s cross found Dowridge unmarked at the far post but his shot was blocked by James Bransgrove in the Walden goal.

The hosts started the second half on the front foot and on 47 minutes substitute Thomas Head shot wide when well placed. Six minutes later Folan ventured forward but his shot from outside the box fizzed narrowly wide. With 13 minutes left on the clock Spence was again pulled into action with a point blank save before central defender Pat Ahern stopped what seemed like the inevitable opening goal with a brave block of his own. The only goal of the game came in the final minute as Head, looking suspiciously offside popped up on the left and sent in a cross that eluded everyone before reaching Ofori who slammed the ball into the roof of the net. With five minutes of injury time signalled Barking threw Ahern into the forward line but the ancillary striker couldn’t quite capitalize when Nyanja’s cross was fumbled by Bransgrove with the big stopper collecting the loose ball. With 95 minutes on the clock Karl Kayembe’s shot from outside the box was blocked and as the Blues attempted to build another attack the referee blew the final whistle.

Barking’s attention now returns to league action with the visit of West Essex on Saturday.   

Report source: Mark Harris/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.