Date: Saturday 7th October 2023
Essex Senior League 
Wadham Lodge Sports Ground
Attendance: 127
Starters: Arshak Sargsyan, Kenedi Dariri, Joe Clark, Ehizojie Onoabhagbe, Aundre Sepencer, Jack Dickinson, Harvey Brown (C), Fahad Nyanja, Yassier Nasor, Luke Hirst, Addae Paponette
Substitutes: Gael Kileba, David Owiredu, Tom Troubridge, Godwin Fuma, Henry Mabassa
74′ Owiredu for Paponette
78′ Kileba for Nazor
Mitchell Arthur (West Essex) 48′ 0-1
Denzel Effah (West Essex) 78′ 0-2

Yellow cards: Clark
Red cards: None



It was another day to forget for the Blues as they were comfortably beaten by former tenants West Essex by two goals to nil, who after a blank first half struck twice after the break to claim the points.

Arshak Sargsyan replaced Miraldie Ndunzi between the sticks and Addae Paponette fresh from scoring a hat trick in Wednesday’s 9-1 FA Youth cup thumping of Dagenham & Redbridge made his first start for the Blues 

The game was even but devoid of any real quality and it took until the 25th minute for any chance as a West Essex long range shot went over the bar. Barking mounted some pressure but it was West Essex who should have taken the lead after 37 minutes as a free kick was headed back across goal but a poked effort from Ruben Bartlett-Antwi went over the bar. Two minutes later and debutant goalkeeper Arshak Sargsyan was called into action making an impressive save as he tipped over a deflected 25 yard effort that threatened to wrongfoot him. Barking managed to keep up a high pressure for the remainder of the first half and nearly had their reward just before half time but Luke Hirst snatched at a volley and it cleared the crossbar.

The Blues pressure continued into the second half and nearly had their reward on – Hirst won the ball directly from the home keeper Michael Corderoy and squared it to Addae Papponette but the ball ended up caught under his feet and the chance was lost. The ball ended up at the other end of the pitch and West Essex punished Barking as another free kick was headed back across goal by Mitchell Arthur and his effort found the net to give the hosts the lead and left Barking appealing in vain for an offside against Bartlett-Antwi.


A few minutes later and Barking went close again as a short corner was played to Harvey Brown, but his curling effort was palmed away by Corderoy to Fahad Nyanja but he had to contort to shoot towards goal and missed the target. The next chance of note fell to Barking fifteen minutes later, with West Essex failing to deal with Brown’s free kick, but Jack Dickinson’s stab towards goal was too close to Corderoy who easily collected the ball. West Essex doubled their lead after 78 minutes as Denzel Effah marauded down the left wing and under little pressure and cut inside to lift a curling effort over Sargsyan and into the net.


To their credit the Blues didn’t give up but failed to create any sort of moments of quality to suggest they might have come back into the game before the full time whistle.

We are at home for the next two matches starting with Tuesday evening as we welcome former manager Justin Gardner back to the Lawtech Stadium with his new team Hullbridge Sports.

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


West Essex FC v Barking FC - Saturday October 7th 2023

Click above to open in a new window