Date: Saturday 3rd February 2024
Errington Challenge Cup First Round
Venue: Burroughs Park
Attendance: 63
Starters: Max Spence, Bleron Ademi, Kenedi Dariri (C), Jack Folan, George Forrest, Joe Clark, Warren Kayembe, Sam Dowridge, Luke Hirst, Tony Martin, Giovanni Palmer
Substitutes: Greg Akpele, Brad Rowland, Shaye La-Rose, Karl Kayembe, Jack Dickinson
HT Kayembe (K) for Clark
HT La-Rose for Palmer
62′ Dickinson for Kayembe (W)
68′ Rowland for Folan
Hirst 13′ 1-0
Martin 67′ 2-0
Martin Penalty 80′ 3-0
Martin 90+3′ 4-0
Yellow cards: Martin 
Red cards: None



It seems that White Ensign have a challenge stopping Tony Martin scoring against them, he has scored two hat tricks in as many games this season for Barking.

However, we started February with a win and in doing so successfully took the first step in defending the trophy won last May. With this latest victory, our unbeaten streak now extends to 15 games in both league and cup.

It was announced post game that our joint managers Jonny Fowell and Michael Walther had won the January manager of the month which is a tribute to the sterling work they have done since taking over at the end of October.

There were a number of changes for today’s game and what looked like a very attacking line up. We welcomed back Giovanni Palmer who made his first appearance for us since the covid disrupted season of 2020/21. Fahad Nyanja was injured at training on Thursday, George Forrest took his place and Kenedi Dariri wore the captain’s armband.

Barking started on the front foot and took 13 minutes to break the deadlock. A Tony Martin throw-in found Luke Hirst, who clinically fired home a low shot from close range to bring his season tally to 14 goals. 


Throughout the first half, Barking continued to press creating opportunities from dangerous corners and free kicks. Despite dominating they couldn’t add a second goal, In the 32nd minute, Bleron Ademi played in Martin, whose shot was met with a solid save from the legs of Ensign keeper Joe Whitney. The swift footwork of Sam Dowridge produced a threatening cross in the 38th minute, but Jack Folan’s subsequent shot narrowly missed the target. Ensign, although managing some efforts on goal failed to trouble Max Spence between the sticks for Barking, the visitors went in at half time with a single goal lead.

The second half resumed with Barking looking to extend their advantage. In the 47th minute, Dowridge set up Hirst, whose shot was blocked, resulting in a corner. The hour mark saw Hirst winning the ball back and setting up Martin, but he fired wide. Barking’s persistence paid off in the 67th minute when Karl Kayembe freed Ademi down the right and he delivered a perfect cross for Tony Martin to head home, doubling Barking’s lead.


Barking continued to press and sub Jack Dickinson set up Hirst whose shot narrowly missed the target. With ten minutes left Dowridge’s deft footwork got him into the box only to be crudely stopped by Austin Smart and earning Barking a penalty. Tony Martin confidently stepped up and sent Whitney the wrong way to make it 3-0. 


Probably the best goal of the match came in the third minute of added time when Hirst battles for and wins possession, his cross is blocked then cleared to Shaye La-Rose whose ball in to the box sets up Tony Martin for his hat trick goal. Martin displayed composure and coolly sat the defender down before slotting the ball home to take his season tally to nine goals in ten appearances.


We are now away to Tilbury in the second round on a date to be arranged. Due to Romford’s continuing involvement in the FA Vase we are not scheduled to play again until Saturday February 17th when we are away to Hullbridge Sports

Report source: Terry Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


White Ensign FC v Barking FC - Saturday February 3rd 2024

Click above to open in a new window