Date: Saturday 6th January 2024
Essex Senior League
Lawtech Stadium
Attendance: 92
Starters: Ben Lane, Brad Rowland, Kenedi Dariri, Ross Elsom, George Forrest, Fahad Nyanja (C), Jack Dickinson, Jack Folan, Luke Hirst, Karl Kayembe, Shaye La-Rose
Substitutes: Anthony Martin, Warren Kayembe, Ahmed Mohammed, Bleron Ademi, Henry Hart
HT Kayembe (W) for Elsom
76′ Ademi for Kayembe (K)
85′ Hart for Hirst
Hirst 9′ 1-0
Kayembe (K) 45+1′ 2-0
Kayembe (W) Penalty 82′ 3-0
Yellow cards: Kayembe (W)
Red cards: None



Barking resumed after the winter break with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Woodford Town thanks to first half goals from Luke Hirst and Karl Kayembe before a late second half penalty from Karl’s brother Warren secured all three points moving us up to eighth in the table.

Having two brothers score in the same game prompted a delve into the archive. Aside from Joe and Ben Turner scoring in a friendly against Romford in July 2013, the Kayembe siblings are the first to achieve this feat in a senior game since Dave and Noel Ashford in a 3-1 Isthmian League win over Boreham Wood in April 1979.

A very late change in the starting lineup occurred as Ahmed Mohammed sustained an injury during the warm-up, prompting a hurried replacement by Ross Elsom. Ross having rejoined us from Coggeshall Town.

It was a strong start from the Blues which was rounded off after nine minutes as Brad Rowland played Jack Dickinson down the right wing who marauded past the full back before cutting back to Luke Hirst who drove the ball into the bottom left corner of the net to give Barking the lead and take him to double figures for the season.


Hirst nearly doubled the lead minutes later but his header from a deep cross was straight at former Barking keeper Eddie Allan. Woodford started to turn the screw and went close at the 20 minute mark: the Blues failed to clear a low ball and the resultant volley might have been goalbound but it smacked against Forrest and Ben Lane smothered comfortably. Woodford continued to have plenty of the ball but Barking were structured and organised and Town were simply unable to break the Blues down or get anywhere close to it, They were punished right on half time: a Woodford defender headed the ball against his own player and they both conspired to not clear the ball, allowing Karl Kayembe to swoop in to power the ball home from close range to score his fifth of the season.


The second half was much of the same with Ben Lane probably able to wear his shirt again without cleaning it. There was a free kick which cleared the bar from Woodford after 66 minutes but it was Barking who found the net with eight minutes remaining – Warren Kayembe lifted the ball into the box for Luke Hirst who was brought down leaving the referee with an easy call for a penalty. Warren Kayembe stepped up and left Allan standing in the middle of the goal as he rolled it to his left and into the net for 3-0.


There was still a chance for Barking to add another as Warren Kayembe’s deflected shot was palmed into the path of sub Henry Hart who nearly scored with his first touch but Allan did well to get across to block his effort. The Blues kept their composure for the final moments and their unbeaten run now stretches to ten games in all competitions.

There are now seven days until our next match and we are at home to White Ensign next Saturday with a 3pm kick off. 

Report source: Trevor Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Barking FC v Woodford Town FC - Saturday January 6th 2024

Click above to open in a new window


To read/download a digital version of the match programme click on the above image