Date: Wednesday 6th December 20223
Essex Senior League
Ashton’s Stadium
Attendance: 89
Starters: Ben Lane, Brad Rowland, Shaye La-Rose, Bleron Ademi, Kenedi Dariri, Fahad Nyanja (C), Karl Kayembe, Jack Folan,  Anthony Martin, Declan Nche, Luke Hirst
Substitutes: George Forrest, Greg Akpele, Sam Shaban, Tim Monsheju, Darnell Baxter-Alleyne
HT Forrest for Ademi
HT Shaban for Martin
60′ Akpele for Nche
75′ Monsheju for Hirst
Kayembe 19′ 1-0
Nathan Sollosi (Woodford) 35′ 1-1
Yellow cards: Rose, Folan
Red cards: None



In a closely contested match at a cold Ashton’s Stadium Barking secured a 1-1 draw against Woodford, maintaining tenth position in the league table. 

Our recent run of wins with clean sheets came to an end but the Blues stretched their unbeaten run to six league and cup games.

Sam Shaban and Darnell Baxter-Alleyne: two players who featured for us last season returned and were on the subs bench.

The game saw early pressure from Barking, but Woodford fought back with attacks of their own. The action kicked off with promise for Barking in the fifth minute as a cross from Brad Rowland found Tony Martin’s head, but former Barking keeper, Eddie Allan collected the ball. In the 12th minute, a long throw from Fahad Nyanja was headed on by Martin and required a tip-over save from Allan. Barking broke the deadlock in the 19th minute when another Fahad throw was recycled to Karl Kayembe, who fired home from the edge of the box to take the lead and mark his second goal in as many games.


Woodford sought to get back in the game, and Barking goalkeeper Ben Lane had to be quick off his line on multiple occasions to nullify the danger. In the 34th minute, Shaye La Rose played in Luke Hirst and his shot was cleared off the line. However, Woodford quickly countered down the left side, resulting in a ball into the box which was fired home by Nathan Sollosi to level the score at 1-1. Barking came close again in the 38th minute when Martin’s shot was cleared off the line and this time it seemed closer than the Hirst effort to crossing the line. Declan Nche’s follow-up shot was saved by Allan, leading to a corner. Woodford had a good chance from a free-kick in the 41st minute, but the shot went well wide. Before the break, Barking appealed for a penalty for a foul on Hirst, but the referee refused to be convinced. 

At half time, there were changes as Sam Shaban and George Forrest replaced Tony Martin and Bleron Ademi. In the second half, Woodford had an early chance with a dangerous cross into the box headed wide, ending with Kenedi Dariri putting the ball out of danger to concede a corner. Sam Shaban had the first chance for Barking in the second half, but his shot was deflected wide with the Barking supporters hoping it was going in. The game entered a flat period where both teams struggled to make an impression. In the 67th minute, Hirst nearly made the breakthrough, but his close-range shot was saved by Allan and the follow-up efforts were blocked. In the last ten minutes, Barking pushed for a second goal, but it proved elusive. As the clock ticked down a draw seemed the likely outcome and both teams had to settle for a point.

After this draw, Barking remained in tenth place but is only three points behind sixth-placed Halstead Town with a game in hand, keeping the door open for a push up the league table.

This coming Saturday we leave the league behind as we continue our travels and hit the road to Coggeshall Town in the second round of the Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy with a 3pm kick off.

Report source: Terry Gilbert/Barking FC

Please note that the opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to Barking Football Club.


Woodford Town FC v Barking FC - Tuesday December 6th 2023

Click above to open in a new window